Sunday, February 22, 2015

titillating the converted

a few quotes from Tom Lehrer:
Lehrer quoted a friend's explanation: "Always predict the worst and you'll be hailed as a prophet."

...but there is something the New York Times said about me [in 1958], that I have always treasured: 'Mr. Lehrer's muse [is] not fettered by such inhibiting factors as taste."

awarding the [Nobel Peace] prize to Kissinger made political satire obsolete

I don't want to satirise George Bush and his puppeteers, I want to vaporize them.


да, и еще: Lehrer has commented that he doubts his songs had any real effect on those not already critical of the establishment: "I don't think this kind of thing has an impact on the unconverted, frankly. It's not even preaching to the converted; it's titillating the converted..."

No comments: