Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Confessions of a Fool - the end

под конец парень становится местами просто смешон:
I might as well have preached to stone walls. How could I hope to make this woman, who acknowledged no other law but her animal instincts, grasp a philosophical distinction!
но не везде:
...her instinct of self-preservation had built up a legend behind which she could shield herself from the attacks of her anguished conscience.
Ницше, Арцыбашев - что-то в воздухе такое было:
How strange is life! In the afternoon I had struck her. At night she held me in her arms and kissed me.

What an extraordinary woman she was, to kiss her executioner with willing lips!

Why had I not known it before? If I had struck her ten years ago I should now have been the happiest of husbands.

Remember this, my brothers, if ever you are deceived by a woman!
в общем - конец довольно занудный.

August StrindbergThe Confession Of a Fool

см. также "Во зло употребила ты права"