Wednesday, December 31, 2014

sense of futility

A Cartoonist's Funny, Heartbreaking Take On Caring For Aging Parents

And I just finally, I wound up paying the super to empty it. And it was horrible in some ways because I just couldn't make any more trips out to Brooklyn to go through their (bleep).
...
GROSS: Did you feel this sense of futility? Like, your parents had saved and saved and saved things - in part because they were hoarders and in part because they were so frugal, having come of age during the Depression. And then they get sick and everything just gets put in Hefty bags and that's it.
...
And sometimes I'm horrified when I look back on this. On other hand, I think about something a friend of mine who had gone through something similar said, which was that if you don't think your children will be interested, don't keep it. And he's absolutely right. I mean, I feel much more conscious of how much stuff I have now and what are my kids going to do with my stuff once I die. And, you know, do I want more stuff in my house? Like, not really.

курсив мой - вс

local copy

No comments: