Thursday, June 22, 2017

boat-rocking is suicidal

I have intentionally adjusted my teaching materials as the political winds have shifted. ... Most of my colleagues who still have jobs have done the same.
...
The academic job market is brutal. Teachers who are not tenured or tenure-track faculty members have no right to due process before being dismissed, and there's a mile-long line of applicants eager to take their place. And as writer and academic Freddie DeBoer writes, they don't even have to be formally fired — they can just not get rehired. In this type of environment, boat-rocking isn't just dangerous, it's suicidal, and so teachers limit their lessons to things they know won't upset anybody. - I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me by Edward Schlosser on June 3, 2015
это в 2015-м, а вот он пишет про Evergreen

ср. Путин попросил оппозицию "не раскачивать лодку"

see also ‘F*** free speech’: Evergreen State students double down, want to ‘weed out’ those who oppose them

и Когда королю скажут, что он голый?

No comments: